Fun facts about Emma
- What song is most likely to lure you to the dancefloor? Africa, Toto (100% of the time)
- At a pub quiz, what questions can we can rely on you to answer? Geography (not music or movies!)
- What music do you like? I have my dad's taste in music - especially blues, roots & rock and roll.
- What is your favourite food? Uhh... This is impossible to answer! I love to cook middle-eastern, Italian and Thai food at home and I love to eat Mexican, Vietnamese, Indian and Spanish food out.
- A movie I would watch 100 times over: Napolean Dynamite, Ferris Bueller's Day Off or, anything produced by Wes Anderson.
- What's your favourite TV series? I'm all about period dramas, so Downton Abbey, Outlander, Peaky Blinders, and The Crown - all favourites!
- What's your favourite song to sing in the shower? You're So Vain, by Carly Simon
- Do you have a fear of anything? I am petrified of leeches... And speaking in front of an audience on stage!
- What does your ideal day involve? No emails or internet, a good book and sunshine.
- What car do you drive? A 1995 Lexus. LS400 😂
My YouTube Story
I started my YouTube channel while teaching adult learners in a classroom in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Wherever I have lived in the world, food is the ultimate connector – and it’s an awesome topic to spark conversation with someone new! So, I started filming daily interactions with friends and recording language lessons about food and cooking! (This connection to food is why the channel is called “mmm” English!) 😋
And it really all began because I wanted to bring that social experience of learning to my classroom, in the hope of motivating my students to start their journey to English fluency!
Since then, I’ve created over 280 free English lessons on YouTube, published 3 English language courses and founded Hey Lady!, an English Speaking Community that helps women around the world to practise and improve their English Conversation Skills.
With 5 million subscribers (and many more students around the world), mmmEnglish represents my love of teaching, mentoring and inspiring English learners to become confident English speakers.
My life outside YouTube
You know me as Emma from mmmEnglish! 🙋🏻♀️ But there’s more to share!
I live in sunny Fremantle in Western Australia, with my partner Shah and our big, beautiful, Bullmastiff, Frankie! We live by the beach and are there almost every day. I love cycling, hiking and sharing good food with friends.
Shah & I are Co-Founders of Hey Lady!, a software platform that connects women around the world who are learning English, to a safe space to practise speaking English online.
I also love to travel and have even lived in Malaysia, Vietnam and Spain for periods of time. I truly believe that living in different parts of the world allows us all to develop humility, and a deep respect for others, particularly those who are “different”. In my experience, most negative assumptions that you have about another person or culture are based on society and the media – having genuine interactions with real people allows you to determine your own thoughts and ideas, based on what you know to be true.